Yes, 2020 absolutely SUCKED. Apart from slowly dying from covid-induced poverty and becoming 10lbs heavier because gyms have been closed for 6 months, I think this year has allowed me to really reflect on my personal growth and I have come out of it slightly more resilient.
2020 was the year that I learned three very important things.
- Doing it poorly is better than not doing it at all. I think innately we all know this, but it takes real guts to show the world our failures. And boy are we good at making excuses for ourselves. I lack the resources, time, money, mental capacity, and self-discipline to create. But underlying all of those reasons is just fear of inadequacy. As a person who frantically chases instant gratification, I learned that…
- Gratitude fuels my growth mindset. We can focus on those failures in part one, or we can accept that every bit of experience propels us forward. For each failure, take a moment to reflect. For each success, take a moment of rest. When you hit a milestone, take a moment to be thankful for the things that went well so that you learn to recognize the small successes that make up the steps towards the goal. Grinding levels slowly is one thing but…
- Getting help is also a valid solution. A fancy way to say, “get a friend to fucking do the thing for you and leech that exp.” I have been watching a lot of isekai animes lately and I realized that the point of a party is to cover blind spots and cast enhancement spells. Solo players can’t do everything. Might as well take full advantage of the fact that you’re really, really, really NOT alone. Just remember to return the favor when you can.
The goods, the bads, and the missed opportunities of 2020
👌 Heccin DELETED crippling student debt 👌 Yeeted a toxic person out of my life 👌 Met one very lovely work wife :') ILY. 👌 Donated $500+ of cosplay shit to other people 👌 Got a car, insurance, and full license. I can drive! Legally! By myself! As long as I have money for gas! 2021? More like, 2020 won. //mic drop 👎 Stress drank so much bubble tea I gained 10lbs from sugar 👎 No full time job = no stability = very stress 👎 Only did 1 cosplay shoot, but fortunately I was able to make a cosplay for friend 👎 Overworked myself, had to take mental health days off 😥 👎 Still feels the need to shop to fill the void in my heart I'm working on it, I swear. 🙃 Literally almost had abs and it's kind of my dream to have abs 🙃 Long periods of inactivity on my blog, big whoops 🙃 Learned to assemble my first beast PC to stream. Did not stream. 🙃 Signed up for some online courses (comsci at Harvard, language classes etc.) and I have not been studying at all. 🙃 Got a studio but it's been 4 months and I've been there like 5 times. I keep telling others not to settle so why do I put up with my own dumb shit? idk.
Overall I want to try to document things a little better. Since there are 12 months I thought perhaps it would be good to make twelve goals. And just for fun, I’ll try to assign each goal a specific month where I will reflect on that goal.
- January – start tracking net worth for FIRE (financial independence retire early)
- February – Start Youtube or Twitch… I have to. I HAVE to. Otherwise, re-evaluate the studio.
- March – Support every single friend who chooses to start a business or do a passion project. Not hard since I have like 3 friends.
- April – Come out of my shell as a One Piece stan. Make One Piece cosplay.
- May – try to thrift 80%+ of new possessions, especially textiles such as clothes and fabric
- June – Do 12-24 website updates. (Splitting between this site and my work website is okay).
- July – Exercise at least once a week. Game at least once a week.
- August – Keep social media accounts active by posting roughly once a week.
- September – Get decently good at a game, idc what game.
- October – Take a vacation, somewhere, for roughly a week.
- November – Fund a passion project. Keeping this one vague because damn do I have a lot that I want to do.
- December – Finish using that fabric stash… Cosplay original concepts and do what makes you happppppyyyyyyyy.
Here’s a sexy picture of my new bby
//slaps that case
A GOOD LIL’ SHIT. By the way if anyone wants to build a PC I want to say that it’s actually very plug-and-play and I didn’t have to solder anything. I thought it was going to take a long time but no. It was very easy. It just… works?
Aight, see you. I hope to have some more cosplay content for the next post but we shall see :’)